Pjila’si! Nestled along the Bras d’Or Lakes in Cape Breton’s rolling heartlands – where the highlands meet the lowlands – there’s history, culture, and beauty waiting to be discovered. There is a tremendously vibrant cultural heart in this region, beating with the drums of the Scottish who settled the land of the Mi’kmaq who were here before.
History, culture & beauty
waiting to be discovered
We invite you to discover the richness
of everyday activities in other cultures
Learn by watching, listening and sharing our stories
*All tours must be pre-booked. Visit our Tour page for more information!
Discover authentic Mi’kmaq culture along our picturesque 2.4 KM trail on Goat Island in Eskasoni. The island hugs the beautiful Bras d’Or Lake, a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve.
You will be guided along the trail by one of our Mi’kmaq cultural interpreters who will take you to visit several villages, each one offering a unique experience to learn and partake in this way of life.
- Take part in a smudging ceremony
- Learn to make four cents cake over an open fire
- Learn the art of basketry
- Learn and join in our traditional dance
- Speak to our trading post merchant
- Play the ancient game of Waltes
- Learn about hunting and fishing techniques.
Top this all off with a traditional snack of luskinigan and tea!